Posted by Buck Knives on 10/21/2021
Industry Sector: Hunting/Shooting
Job Categories: Management - Product -Brand
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
City: Post Falls
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 25 miles
Job Description & Requirements
Buck creates purpose-built knives that perform for generations. Join the Iconic Buck brand and help us leap forward.
As a key member of the Marketing and Product Development Team, this position will oversee the vision, direction, and performance of Buck Knives’ legendary product line. As the leader of our product plan, this role will own and drive all elements of Buck Knives’ product assortment from ideation to concept, category/brand alignment, development, commercialization, launch, and end of life.
Rooted in financial analysis, consumer feedback, competitive analysis, and situational awareness of our brand and the market, this role will clearly identify trends and position opportunities that will consistently and reliably bring exceptional products to market. The Product Manager will shape and improve the product development process and execution initiatives that will compress time to market. The role will capitalize on Buck’s decades as a core outdoor brand and its extensive market share and channel penetration to develop unique and recognizable assortments for generations of loyal users.
This role will leverage Buck’s formidable manufacturing and sourcing capabilities to develop products that exceed specific consumer, channel, financial, needs, and financial performance profiles. Lastly, with an eye to the future, the Product Manager will work closely with Buck’s engineers to develop new and innovative designs, mechanisms, materials, and platforms that will differentiate Buck in the market for years to come.
Carrying the responsibility of the organizational product offering, this role will be expected to operate with keen business acumen, an exceptional ability to grasp market/industry trends, and be the leading expert on performance and stylistic standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Bring world-class products to market that perform for consumers and meet financial objectives.
· Start to finish execution of product life cycle (from market need to end of life).
· Identify, craft, and guide a product strategy that aligns with brand standards and brand direction.
· Create and manage the product plan that identifies need, evaluates opportunity, examines feasibility, and positions the product for assimilation into a well-defined and organized SKU range plan.
· Oversee and direct the organizational efforts of product development driving process refinement, milestone achievement, adherence to deadlines, and performance and aesthetic definition.
· Continually examine, study, and maintain a pulse on the market landscape, including consumer needs and competition/brand position.
· Be the expert and advocate for the Buck Knives product assortment by training, presenting, and communicating product features and benefits to educate and motivate internal/external stakeholders.
- Own the go-to-market success pathway for new product introductions by engaging development teams, operations, marketing, sales, and organizational leadership in project scope and mission to ensure on time, on plan, successful B2B/B2C launch.
- Evaluate, create, and deliver product line and profitability analysis and present project opportunities for selection and initiation.
- Manage and direct the Industrial Design department, external designers, and freelance input.
- Oversee project calendar and lead efforts to stay on time and on plan to coordinate internal/external milestones and hit market launch without compromise on quality or direction.
- Oversee market research, product line management, R&D, testing, and refinement strategies that bear out functional, profitable, and thoughtfully curated product assortments.
- In conjunction with purchasing and engineering, act as a liaison and contact point for 3rd party vendors/suppliers, both domestically and for import products.
- Manage iterations and revisions to meet both the consumer needs and manufacturing constraints.
- Assist in formulating new product positioning, pricing, forecasting, and marketing/sales strategies that meet product objectives and success measures.
- Define, create, and implement KPIs that lead to cross-functional visibility and greater depth of understanding for NPI success.
- Oversee completion and accuracy of technical specifications for catalog and marketing documents.
- Expertly sell, present, and articulate product plans and features in person, in clinic, and in interview/on-camera formats.
- Champion a product-driven/consumer-first mindset with a tireless sense of optimism and enthusiasm for the product and brand.
This role will oversee a team of individuals responsible for contributing various inputs to completion of the overall New Product/Product line mission. This will include Industrial Design, R&D facilitation, and all freelance designers and contributors. This role will be responsible for ensuring team members have clearly defined goals, deliverable timelines, and execution plans to ensure NPI excellence.
Approximately 5-10 times a year, both domestic and potential for international, spanning nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs and the ability to drive a project to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to seek out information, analyze and formulate data, and synthesize information into an organized and educated communication set.
- Experience working with domestic manufacturing and engineering.
- Demonstrated strong project management experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including presenting, meeting organization, and training.
- Familiarity and comfort working with and around outdoor categories to include firearms, motorized and non-motorized recreational equipment, edged cutting tools, and power tools.
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft programs, Axapta knowledge is a plus.
- Familiarity with project management software or applications is a plus.
- Familiarity with Solidworks, 3D printing, and CNC is a plus.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience in product management / product development at a consumer products company, preferably a domestic manufacturer. Experience extracting and analyzing relevant market data, market trends consumer and channel research, and competitive information. Has a passion for the outdoors preferably in hunting and fishing. A polished, professional demeanor with the ability to communicate conviction and confidence in the direction of Buck products. Proven track record of getting products to market on time.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, or closely related business administration degree. Experience in an equal level of professional experience in this field will be considered.
Minimum 3 years of experience in a product management role within the Outdoor industry or closely related durable consumer goods market. Experience and/or passion for the hunting, fishing, shooting, outdoor industry required.
This role will be onsite in Post Falls, Idaho, with no option for remote.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment will include office areas, manufacturing areas, and warehouse/shipping areas.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.