Senior Designer, Soft Goods - CamelBak
Posted by Camelbak on 09/22/2022
Industry Sector: Action, Bike, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow
Job Categories: Design - Accessories, Design - Apparel, Design - Engineer, Design & Development - Product
Company Type: Recreation
Country: United States
Required Experience: 7 - 10 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: No
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
CamelBak has a history of delivering products with break-through innovation and superior performance. As a senior member of the Design Team, you will be responsible for creating amazing product designs, focusing specifically on soft-goods like backpacks, hip-packs, and vests for the outdoor consumer. You’ll be constantly challenged with redefining the product lines in Hike, Bike, Run, and Snow Sports to maintain and evolve CamelBak’s heritage of strong innovation and success.
- Contribute to all design projects within the organization.
- Collaborate with product managers, soft-good developers and engineers on new product development programs to bring innovation to market on budget and on-time.
- Communicate new ideas and concepts through effective 2D sketches, 3D rendering and compelling design presentations to all levels of the company.
- Create prototypes, mock-ups, and study models to prove-out concepts (i.e., foam modeling, simple plastic fabrication, 3D printing, sewing, etc.)
- Create technical drawings, artwork, and other deliverables to effectively communicate design intention for manufacturing.
- Strategize with product managers and design management on overall design direction for soft goods product-line.
- Work with domestic and international development partners to manage new design projects and communicate on-going product needs.
- Conduct and participate in robust consumer research (i.e., focus groups and user surveys) and interpret feedback into viable product concepts.
- Travel as required to manage and communicate with vendors on new product designs.
- Explore new product categories through advanced concept development.
- Mentor junior designers on their projects and on professional development.
- 4-year degree in Industrial Design or equivalent.
- 8 years of related experience in product design, focused on soft-good product lines.
- Highly refined 2D concept sketching ability with strong 3D visualization skills.
- Extensive experience using 2D and 3D CAD design tools including Illustrator, Photoshop and SolidWorks (or equivalent).
- Extensive knowledge and experience with soft goods production methods and cut-and-sew construction techniques. Ability to sew and use paper box patterning techniques are highly valued.
- Senior-level ability to consistently translate market research, feedback, and multiple inputs into appealing, cohesive and functional designs.
- A strong voice with a passion for storytelling and a talent for compelling presentations.
- A passion and knowledge of their field of expertise with the talent to motivate, steer and inspire others within core project teams.
- Positive team-member behaviors, including an open mindset, active listening skills, and candid but professional sharing of ideas.
- Strong work ethic with a proactive approach. Highly developed ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced, creative environment.
- Desire to work in an open, collaborative atmosphere where innovation, accountability and fun are highly valued.
- Graphic design and/or illustration experience a plus.
- Textile design or garment design experience a plus.
- Hard-goods design and design engineering a plus.
U.S. CamelBak Products, LLC is an American outdoor equipment company based in Petaluma, California, best known for its hydration products, such as hydration packs and water bottles. CamelBak is also a supplier of protective gear, and other products to the U.S. military.