Channel Sales Manager
Posted by Ruffwear on 11/30/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Management - Sales
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: No
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: Yes
Job Seeker Must Live Within: Telecommute
Job Description & Requirements
Channel Sales Manager
Job Type: Full-Time, Salaried
Location: Remote Possible (Bend, OR preferred)
At Ruffwear, we believe success goes beyond making great gear. Started as a one-person endeavor in 1994, Ruffwear has gained the support of dogs and humans around the world and is one of Outside Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work. Known for innovative products that help people and dogs of all abilities enjoy outdoor spaces together, our “pack” values diverse thinking and voices from different backgrounds. We appreciate a willingness to take intentional risks that promote creativity, strengthen customer relationships, and reduce our impact on the planet. Our privately held company reinvests profits back into our business to keep it sustainable and nimble, and we partner with organizations like The Conservation Alliance to help protect the lands and waterways where canines and humans connect and thrive. Based in Bend, Oregon, we test our products and explore with our own dogs among our nearby forests, rivers, and mountains. Our headquarters recently underwent an innovative renovation to provide a workspace that enhances the wellbeing and creativity of our pack. Our warm and collaborative atmosphere fosters the sharing of ideas through respectful and stimulating dialogue and helps us implement new initiatives with gusto.
The Channel Sales Manager is responsible for developing, building, and executing Ruffwear’s channel sales strategy. The position works closely with the Product Development, Marketing, and Sales teams to provide market research and customer insight that informs product R&D and Go-To-Market strategy for Service Dog, Pro Purchase, and other channels. This role will build and manage a team of account managers to support existing and future sales channels. The best person for this position is someone who will strive to consistently exceed customers’ expectations with a deep understanding of the communities and industries Ruffwear serves through these channels.
- Accountable for maintaining meaningful partnerships with key market leaders, organizations, and customers within the designated business channels.
- Develop and implement sales plans for existing channels and identify opportunities to enter new markets or customer segments.
- Oversee creation of briefs for R&D and product development targeting customer segments in the Service Dog community.
- Evaluate trends that drive customer behavior and integrate insights into R&D and seasonal planning cycles.
- Work with the Product Line Manager to implement Go-To-Market strategies for Service Dog product releases.
- Plan and execute trade shows, market events, and in-person/virtual clinics with industry partners.
- Develop seasonal sales goals/forecasts for existing and prospective channels, and manage the channel sales budget.
- Keep up-to-date on current and future legislation and/or regulatory requirements impacting the Service Dog community.
- Act as primary point-of-contact for Pro Purchase customer support, including order management, shipping logistics, inventory management, and issue resolution.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position's essential functions.
Channel Account Managers (once hired)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting (Ruffwear office or home office as necessary).
Occasional international and domestic travel will be required.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years of sales experience in the outdoor and/or pet industry.
- 1+ years of supervisory or management experience.
- A combination of years of experience and education may be taken into consideration.
- Excellent interpersonal, visual, and written communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills to achieve results with cross-functional relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Proficiency in data analysis and purchase forecasting.
- Excellent understanding of new markets and proven commitment to building relationships with new and existing customers.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit by striving to make products, communication, and services better for human-canine adventures and connections.
- Passion for dogs and a first-hand understanding of the interactive bond between canines and humans.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 2+ years of experience building and leading a sales team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, or a related field.
- Previous experience with ERP or CRM systems (NetSuite is a plus).
- Experience working with the Service Dog community.
- Passion for the outdoors.
This position is available for local candidates already authorized to work in the country in which the position is based. Ruffwear is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ruffwear is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees across culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
For Ruffwear founder Patrick Kruse, exploring the outdoors has been a way of life since the beginning, whether by foot, bike, flying machine, or boat. And he has always searched for ways to include his canine sidekicks in all of his adventures.
Today, the performance dog gear company Patrick launched from his garage, Ruffwear, is present around the globe. Throughout our journey, we’ve remained true to our passion for enhancing and inspiring exploration for outdoor adventurers and their human companions.