|Job Title: ||Snr Designer - Backcountry Apparel
|Industry Sector: ||Outdoor
|Job Categories: ||Design - Apparel
| Contact Information
Address: 1077 Great Northern Way
Vancouver, BC V5T 1E1
Company Phone: +1.604.707.3300
Web Site: http://www.mec.ca
The Position: Snr Designer - Backcountry Apparel
MEC is a socially and environmentally responsible retail co-operative owned and directed by it's members. Our talented team of Designers and Developers work in-house to create functional, technical, quality product with attention to style and detail that exceeds the demands of our members. Whichever adventure you choose, we have you covered.
As the Senior Designer - Backcountry Apparel you’ll work with the design team to create the MEC brand apparel collection.
You work with an inclusive, hands-on, collaborative group that connects people with quality products to encourage active outdoor lives. You’ll always be learning, and there’s a good chance your co-workers will inspire you to try something new, like riding in a Fondo, bouldering or paddleboarding.
What you do:
- Lead the design output for all MEC brand apparel. Ensure feasibility of design to achieve briefed product end use, cost and manufacturability.
- In conjunction with the Senior Director of Product Design and Merchants, participate in the development of relevant seasonal assortments.
- Conduct seasonal market research and trend analysis.
- Create accurate and detailed initial technical sketches and spec packages.
- Ensure seasonal calendars are adhered to and all deadlines are met.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with factories and mills.
- Participate in all fit sessions and ensure all garments are developed to meet MEC fit and quality standards.
- Work with the Raw Materials Team to choose fabrics and trims from nominated suppliers who adhere to our sustainability, quality, cost and delivery targets.
- Travel seasonally to conduct market and trend research, attend trade shows, and to visit factories and mills as needed.
- Work in conjunction with the Colour Team and Design Team to colour the seasonal collection.
- Actively participate in implementing the HIGG Index throughout the development team.
- Lead by example by consistently demonstrating MEC values, and by mentoring the junior designers and interns.
What you bring:
- Post-secondary education in fashion design, industrial design, textiles or equivalent
- You have 5-7 years experience designing a broad scope of product from fully taped outerwear to seamless baselayers
- Adobe Illustrator skills and PLM systems knowledge
- MS office; word and excel user
- Proven leadership skills, to inspire and mentor team members
- Thorough knowledge of raw materials, construction techniques, and trim
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a fast paced environment
- Great communication – you listen first, then share knowledge. This goes for both speaking and writing
- You’re stoked on something: you love to build trails, log miles, organize hut trips, lean into corners, climb splitters or do something outside every day
Bonus points if you…
- Have design experience in the outdoor industry
- Have 3D design skills/Browzwear user or similar skills
Our purpose built HQ is located in our hometown of Vancouver, BC where we started in 1971. We designed the building as a place where our staff can work together to create innovative products and services, and make amazing things happen. A co-op is by nature a collaborative environment and our open-concept space promotes conversation and an easy exchange of ideas. It’s also a place that’s filled with natural light, fresh air, organic surfaces, and the greenest of green building features – it’s built to reach LEED platinum certification.
Job Location: Vancouver, BC
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 5-7 years
Contact Name: James Brittain