Posted by Rite of Passage Journeys on 01/01/2023
Industry Sector: Fitness, Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Management, Management - Executive, Outdoor Education
Company Type: Service
Country: United States
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $60,000-$75,000 DOE
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Rite of Passage Journeys is currently searching for candidates to fill the position of Executive Director (ED). “Journeys” is a well-established and growing organization which focuses on building skills to honor life transitions through meaningful rites of passage. Programs offered include wilderness based expeditions for all individuals who are 8 and older, including offerings for adults, leadership intensives designed to teach wilderness based rites of passage to others, and community programs to explore a wide variety of topics that support ceremonial opportunities to deepen connection with self, community, nature and spirit.
Candidate should have experience in fundraising, management and finance, and be able to work in a collaborative environment along with Staff, Field Guides and Board. Preference will be given to those who also have experience in wilderness, expedition or field guide experience. Preference will also be given for experience in diversity, inclusivity and equity training. An exceptional candidate will have deep personal connection to Rite of Passage work, including participation in personal vision fast(s) or similar kinds of soulwork.
More specifically, the responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and initiate a fundraising plan in keeping with the goals set out in the annual budget
- Maintain relationships with Core Donors to the organization
- Identify new channels for fundraising and growing donor base
- Support and manage a small staff of full-time employees, ensuring they have the skills and resources to meet their goals and objectives
- Identify opportunities for Staff to further develop their skills
- Provide periodic review and feedback to each staff person
- Hire and support training of any new staff members
- Manage and collaborate with core contractors: Registrar, Bookkeeper and Marketer/Designer
- Administer and refine systems to evaluate program quality and staff performance, and to incorporate improvements
- Able to manage people in a supportive, relational, and productive manner
- An ideal candidate will also have excellent facilitation and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to build strong relationships with youth and adults from diverse backgrounds
- Work with Staff, organization Treasurer and Finance Committee to build an annual budget
- Work closely with the Finance Committee to monitor fiscal health of the organization and provide updates to the Board
- Ensure the organization is operating within approved budget
Desired Personal Capacities:
- Confident and compassionate leadership skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Willing to engage and hold space for growth-oriented, soulful inquiry
- Maintains a balance of big-picture perspective and detail orientation
- Able to work in a collaborative manner
- Commitment to personal development
- Good sense of humor
Journeys office and Basecamp are located in Bothell, WA. During months of September - April, remote work is possible at times. During Summer Program preparation and delivery months of May - August, there is a strong need to be present at Basecamp to support Staff, Guides, participants and their families. An essential aspect of directing is to immerse in the heart of Journeys work, gathering inspirational stories to share with and inspire Core Supporters.
Executive Director reports to and works with the Board of Directors. As such, they provide the Board with a monthly report, attend the monthly Board meetings and assist the Board with their Core Donor stewardship responsibilities.
$60,000 - $75,000 negotiated and based on experience
- Paid time off of 4 weeks per year (excludes months of May - August)
- Monthly stipend provided to apply to one’s personal health care plan of choice (organizational health care insurance is not provided)
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
Rite of Passage Journeys does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and clients.
About Rite of Passage Journeys
Rite of Passage Journeys, established in 1968, fosters self-discovery, community and connection with the natural world. Our mission is to mentor youth, adults, and elders through life transitions, initiating soulful leaders for the next generation. This not-for-profit organization provides intentional rites of passage experiences and rite of passage education. Our experiences take the form of guided wilderness retreats and adventures, while our education consists of consultation and training for schools, organizations, churches and individual leaders. We offer a variety of programs designed for children, teens, and adults. Journeys is admired nationwide for its solid integrity and commitment to soul-work that honors deep human values and the earth. The qualities our programs nurture enable us to more fully embrace the challenges and beauty of our collective experiences as well as our unique individual calling.