The Position: Acquisitions Editor
Acquisitions Editor - Outdoor Recreation (G-05-17 Falcon)
Globe Pequot, a trade division of Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group is seeking an experienced Acquisitions Editor in the field of outdoor recreation for its Falcon imprint. This acquisition editor will see titles through all stages of the editing process; collaborate on book design and format; prepare sales materials including tip sheets and catalog copy; and present titles at sales conferences. This position is located in Guilford, CT.
- Conceptualize, develop, and acquire an assigned number of key titles that meet series standards and market needs, and publish books on-time and within budget
- Perform industry research and competitor analysis on various sectors of the outdoor recreation industry and book publishing industry
Prepare regular sales forecasts and assist with strategizing of future lists
Manage book budgets and production schedules
- Evaluate proposals and manuscripts, and identify well-credentialed authors and fresh voices in the outdoor market
Negotiate agent, author, and photographer contract terms and enforce schedule deadlines
- Review text, photos, and maps from the author to ensure manuscripts are written to series guidelines and/or author's contractual requirements
The successful candidate will possess:
- A bachelor's degree
3-5 years of editorial experience at an adult trade publishing house
- A proven acquisitions track record (20-25 titles per year)
- A superior editorial judgment and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively with the Falcon team
- A keen understanding of the outdoor market is desired
- An in-depth knowledge of the climbing industry (either professional or personal) is strongly preferred
About Our Company:
Globe Pequot, based in Guilford, Connecticut, is a vibrant, highly respected independent publisher with a dedication to quality content for a passionate audience. Under our imprints, including; FalconGuides , Globe Pequot, Lyons Press, Taylor Trade, Down East, Travel, Stackpole, TwoDot, and in partnership with expert authors, we publish award-winning books that appeal to a wide range of readers, primarily in the categories of history, biography, sports, nature, local interest, food, travel and outdoor recreation.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and cover letter (including the ad number, where you learned of the opening and your salary expectations) to Boone Soukthideth via email at;
Rowman & Littlefield
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Please refer to www.rowman.com/Page/HR for Rowman & Littlefield's Equal Employment Opportunity-Affirmative Action Policy Statement, as well as additional information relating to equal opportunity employment.
If you are a candidate with a disability in need of an accommodation in the application process, please contact Rowman & Littlefield's human resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Location: Guilford , CT
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: Yes
Job seekers must live within: Work may be performed remotely
Required to Relocate: No
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 3-5 years